Friday, February 1, 2019

The National Geographic BEE - 2019 Thompson Brook School Championship



     
Not quite sure as a 5th Grader this year - when the flyer came early January, I asked my chance to my teacher Mrs. Dully, if I can be nominated to participate in the National Geography BEE contest of my school. She immediately put me to the list and asked my parents for permission. My love for Social Studies is known to them and so it wasn't a big deal getting the nod and I received lots of encouragement from my father, who ensured he personally took time off his office to be my side (once even with Alysha, who was bored and hungry after 3 of 7 rounds!). He shared with me his love for Geography and his passion for Quiz from his very early days in school. Although not much time to prepare, he inspired me to enjoy the week (after I crossed the Prelims) and went thru vast majority of World features, Countries, Capitals and their Currencies. Funny that many changes happened from his days in school - no more USSR, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia and no more Deutsche Mark or French Franc, but otherwise he has a load of info in his old head!!!          


The Prelims Round to select the Top 10 
Okay, introduction done, the Prelims round was held after school on 15th January simultaneously in two places (Gym and Cafe) between 47 TBS 5th and 6th graders attempting for a top 10 spot for School Championship. I answered correctly all of my 7 rounds questions as below:

Q: Which state doesn’t touch the Gulf of Mexico – Florida or South Carolina? 

Q: The Ohio River borders which of this states Indiana or South Dakota? 

Q: Which endangered species is on the brink of extinction off the coast of California due to illegal gillnet fishery for the Totoaba?

Q: River Danube flows thru four national capitals, more than any river in the world, is in which continent? 

Q: About a third of European Countries drain to Black Sea, which one the following is not one of them - Bulgaria, Hungary, Greece?

Q: Which country north of Belgium is the largest producer of flowers in the world?

Q: River Rhine flows thru Frankfurt, situated in which Country?

I was one among 10 School finalist and was given the opportunity to contest for the School Championship event held in front of the entire school on 23rd January. 

I was quite nervous at the final rounds when only 1st and 2nd place contestant remained. me being one. I answered first of two answers incorrect in the final round of 3 questions but the last and the only correct answer made me the 'SCHOOL CHAMPION'.

I was asked the following questions on my way to securing the TBS 1st Place Medal.    


The School Championship Finalist 10 contestants
Round 1 - State Savvy: Annapolis is capital of which state that borders the Chesapeake Bay? 

Round 2 - US Road Trip: 'The Blue Ridge Mountains' in North Carolina are a segment of which Mountain Range? 

Round 3 - Discover National Parks: 'Lake Turkana' and 'Lake Bogoria' are part of the 'Great Rift Valley' in which continent?

Round 4 - Weird But TrueChihuahua and Sonora are states in which Country?

Round 5 - Geo Extremes: 'The Tsukji Market', the largest seafood market in the city of Tokyo is in which country? 

Round 6 - Odd One Out : The ‘Great European Low Lands’ stretches in the West from France coast to which country? 

Round 7 - Awesome Adventures: 'The Alpine Ski World Cup' that’s starts on Feb 2019 in which   country that has the highest population in Scandinavia?

Visual Aid QuestionMap Based Question on Paper, to workout a best possible place for a self-sustainable garden for a fictional city called Geoville.

Final Elimination Round – 1st and 2nd Spot (3 Questions)

Q: Kampala, a settlement of Lake Victoria one of the African Great Lakes is the capital of which African Country? - Got this one wrong answered as Congo 

Q: ‘St. Mary’s River’ is an inlet of which Lake situated in the state of Michigan? - Incorrectly attempted as Lake Michigan 

All 10 TBS Finalist posing with certificate with our principal Mr. Duffy
And the next one worked out as correct and my luckiest answer in the contest : 

Q: Darien National Park is one of the few nations parks where native humans still inhabit and is known for studies on Human and Jaguar interactions. This world heritage site is the largest national park of which Central American Country?


The 1st Place Recognition by National Geographic Society 
Being the School Champion, I was selected to represent my school and attempt the Online Qualifying Test proctored by our Principal Mr. Duffy by February 1st deadline. The 70 questions in the State Qualifying Test will determine who attends the Connecticut State Bee on March 29th. 
One of the 70 Question during Online Qualifying Test was:

Q: In which country is 26% of its population, more than any other country, age 65 or older? 





The results will be out on March 4th and will decide if I'm lucky enough to contest with 100 Connecticut School Champion kids from 4th - 8th Grades. It's going to be very difficult, but I'll give my best shot. My Dad says, age is on my side and I've 4 more years to participate - so take it lightly. 

Do, Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment